Sunday, September 05, 2010

YOSEMITE

We're back! From beautiful Yosemite. Overall it was fun trip. Here are the stats:

# of poor souls who agreed to this trip: 7
nights of sleeplessness: 3.5
days of snow/sleet: 2
bear sightings: 1
awkward wilderness bathroom moments: infinite
cuddling to prevent frostbite: no comment

We hiked an area called Ten Lakes. Here's the group at the trail head.

I've decided hiking in a bear habitat is really, really annoying. Anything we couldn't fit in our bear containers had to be left in unlocked bear boxes at the bottom of the trail. We were tempted to check out all the bear boxes to see if there was better food to steal.

The 7 mile hike...a bit grueling.

I swear on my kitty cat (RIP) that we saw a bear cub. It was about 75 ft off the trail. Due to a camera malfunction, frozen fingers, and a desire for the preservation of life, I was only able to get this distant butt shot.

The summit was breathtaking. Pictures don't do it justice. We could see three of the ten lakes.

We all became pyros. Since it was highs in the 40s, lows in the 20s..this is how we spent 99% of our trip.

Collin volunteering (so cheerfully) for water duty.

Day 3 we went exploring.

We found two more of the lakes, including one which we found as we scaled the ridge in the right of this picture.

A bear print in the mud.

We also stumbled upon "Tuolomne Valley" or the Grand Canyon of Yosemite.

After we hiked out, we drove an hour to the more touristy parts of the park. Yosemite Falls was dry, but here is the famous half dome.

Finally, I'd be remised if I didn't give a shout out to our favorite drunken town in the middle of nowhere, Tonopah, Nevada. Ohhh, the entertainment. Stopping for dinner was an experience. We drove through town and voted on the best establishment:

You couldn't pay me enough to sleep here.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Looks like a fun trip! I want to hear the details over an upcoming football game.

Kaakun said...

Cozy warm at 4000 ft. My campsite had a paved driveway, running water, lows probably in the 40s.

Yeah... its a good thing I didn't bother to stay and find you all.

jenny said...

O. M. G. What awesome pictures. I wish I was more hardcore and could come on these. Remember when I was included in the email chain for this trip, but wasn't really invited? Good times.