Thursday, July 30, 2009

TIME FOR SOME BOOK LEARNIN'

I oft times get comments from people about the Maryland state flag. Probably because its pretty freaking awesome compared to all the other boring state flags (sorry other 49 states for having no personality).

Some fun facts that you can win Jeopardy with:

  • its the only state flag to be based on British heraldry (God save the Queen)
  • both designs are the coat of arms of the Calvert family (founders of Maryland)
  • George Calvert's title was Lord Baltimore
  • most of the major MD sports teams (Orioles, Ravens, UMD Terps, etc) have either the flag or the flags colors on their uniforms

Now don't you feel smarter...

2 comments:

Kaakun said...

pffth we have a California Grizzly Bear on our flag.

They'd maul your losing sports teams, if they weren't driven to extinction...

Collin said...

I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but Oregon's flag is actually the best flag in the world. I just thought you should know before you go around telling others false information. Glad I could help!