Tuesday, July 31, 2007

HAVASUPAI



A group of us went to Havasupai in the Indian Nation of Havasupai, Arizona...it was quite an adventure, read on..

DAY ONE

We practiced being uncomfortable by cramming 9 people on the floor of Kirk's Las Vegas apartment and boy did it work, I slept 0 hours.




We arrived at the trailhead at about 6:30 a.m. From left to right: Chas, Me, Greg, Nicole, Matt, Mary, Rebecca, and Jen. (Kirk is taking the picture).



The hike down was pleasant enough...at this point I'm thinking I would not want to be re-incarnated as a pack mule.




I affectionately nicknamed our doggy companion "Dinner"...just in case we got into a precarious situation and Kirk didn't have enough meat on his bones to feed us all.



Havasu Falls-played here a few hours.



DAY TWO-("And the flood was 40 days upon the earth....")

I thought I was dreaming...I open one eye to see an Indian on a horse riding through our camp, he says calmly "flood waters coming in a hour, move your stuff", and rides off. Huh...interesting. We move our tents and wait patiently for the waters to rise.


Sad days, the clear water was ruined. Mooney Falls in its chocolately, oompa loompa glory.



Chas jumping off a rope swing into the poo water at Mooney Falls.




Since it wasn't that much fun to swim in poo water, we went cave exploring.



Yeah, don't ask...I had little sleep during this trip.


Kirk and I found this slot canyon earlier in the trip, but Kirk wasn't athletic enough to make it across the obstacles of death, so Matt, Greg, and Chas attempted it.



DAY THREE-OUR TALIBAN CAVE

It rained the whole night and flooded again, so a few of us slept overnight in the cave above camp...minus the bats it wasn't half bad. Most of the group hiked out early Saturday morning, but me, Matt, and Chas relaxed in our cave all day while our clothes dried.




We think Matt sold his soul to the playing card devil, because he was demolishing us at every game we played.


Here's the nasty froth from the flooding that the group encountered hiking out. I thought Mary was going to be eaten alive by it.




THE END

2 comments:

Kaakun said...

I'm so glad I'm the walking food storage, sure pick on the fat kid. Though Chas might weigh as much as I do...I know hands down I have Matt and Greg beat in the tasty flub category.

Eliza said...

Elner you are ever so adventuresome. I miss deserty things and caves.

Pretty falls!

I really like the Indian on a horse story.